Battery-powered hair iron causes a suitcase to burst into flames at Narita airport
A suitcase on a flight arriving from Dallas, Texas, burst into flames during a transfer at Narita airport on Sunday, startling employees and sparking a police and fire department response. The flight was laying over at Narita on its way to Bangkok. During the transfer, an airport employee noticed smoke emitting from the suitcase at around 2 p.m. and rushed to put out the fire with a hand-held extinguisher.
Police believe the suitcase, which belonged to a woman on the flight, contained a battery-powered hair iron and that the switch became toggled on as the suitcase was jostled during transfer.